Tuesday, May 17, 2011

The Home Body...

It is always a truly wonderful experience for me to be able to come home to Zion Reformed Church, a place that I would consider my home church body. Having grown up there and even gotten my first tastes of ministry experience there, I feel like I'll always have a connection with the body of Christ in that place. Perhaps you have a similar feeling about a church body, favorite place, favorite people? I don't know what it is really, but I have such fond memories of growing up in that place... from youth group to praise band to flying paper airplanes off of the balcony on Sunday afternoons when mom and dad had meetings to go to! (I probably wasn't supposed to tell anyone about that).

I am so thankful for these memories too, for the people that were involved in them, and how they helped to shape my life. These are the people like your favorite teaching, baby sitter, professor, or inspirational person. Not some actor on TV that you think is cool, but someone that has had a profound impact on you... or something that you associate with a great change in your life.

I think that these people are those who the writer of Hebrews referred to when He speaks of the "great cloud of witnesses."

Hebrews 12:1-3
"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart."

When he writes "therefore" we know that he is saying "because of all that I just said..." The writer is referring to all those that have gone before us from that special Sunday School Teacher to Christ and all the way back to Abraham!! Are we not truly blessed to have these people in our lives?

I know that they have meant so much to me, and I was once again humbled to stand before the congregation that helped me grow in my faith and be affirmed and prayed for as God leads me down this new road in my life.

May you never forget these people in your life and may you, even now, say a prayer of thanks for them... and even let them know what a wonderful impact they have had on your life.

Grace and Peace...

No comments:

Post a Comment