Thursday, October 25, 2012

Pete and Repeat


Repetition (noun)
1. The act or process or an instance of repeating or being repeated.
2. A recitation or recital, especially of prepared or memorized material.
                                                                                    http://www.thefreedictionary.com/repetition

            In the past several months I've been approached several times with questions about the music that we sing.  While this isn't unusual, the comments that have come from these encounters have been quite similar.  “Why do we sing these songs that have all of the same words again and again?”  This question has sparked a great, on-going conversation within some people in our community.  I've been told that people would rather sing hymns, or certain praise songs because of their many words, or rather, because of their lack of repetition.

            I've discovered that people hate doing things over and over without purpose.  Personally, I say that I would rather do something right once rather than do it mediocre multiple times in a row.  We define repetition as something that a child should be doing to memorize multiplication tables or the spelling of words.  This probably conjures up all sorts of not so wonderful memories in your head of long hours of homework; lots of repetition.  For me, it brings back the fateful days of practicing piano.  My mom and I fought for long hours about my practicing.  I HATED IT.  She knew it was good for me.  I threatened to quit.  She wouldn't let me (much as she probably wanted to).

            It strikes me also that, when looking at the definition of this word, the synonyms for it are words like continuity and dullness.  Apart from the fighting with my mother, I could relate my piano practicing to a rather dull experience I suppose.  We've related the idea of repetition with this notion of being worthless, wasteful, and dull.  However, if you look into Scriptures, you’ll notice that there is repetition everywhere.  Does this mean that a vast amount of the Bible is just repetitive dullness?  BY NO MEANS!

            The Hebrew notion of repetition doesn't have anything to do with being bored or trying to fill space.  There is no feeling of angst or thoughts of “why this again” for the Hebrews in Scripture.  Repetition in Scripture happens because those things they were repeating are important!  Jewish writers in the Old Testament didn't use punctuation (or vowels); they could place emphasis on a sentence simply by placing an exclamation point after it!  So, to make sure people knew that a certain thing was important, they would repeat it.  Sometimes this would happen in a sequence:  God is “Holy Holy Holy.”  Other times, like in the creation account or the story of Jonah, things were repeated throughout the narrative to draw the reader’s (or hearer’s) attention to specific details.

            Our culture today is vastly different from the Hebrew culture.  Words and word usage have changed with it as well.  However, the meanings behind the way the words were used have not changed and this can be true for us in the music that we sing as well.  God does not deem worship acceptable simply because the words were or were not repeated.  Jesus Himself said that prayers are not heard because of their many words (Matthew 6:7).  What is important is the heart from which they are sung (Psalm 51:17). 

            Repetition, in the definition, points towards memorization.  I wouldn't be the piano player that I am today without that practice my mom forced me into.  Whether my heart was in it or not, the things I played stuck with me.  The next time you hear something repeated, instead of asking why, think about what God is trying to teach you through it… or what is so important in the repetition that it bears repeating.

No comments:

Post a Comment