Friday, October 5, 2012

What its all about?

The other day I saw a sign that simply read "What if the Hokey-Pokey is really what its all about?"  Instantly I was transported in my mind back to the days of skating parties and school/church social gatherings at the local skating rink.  Round and round we would go, sometimes racing, sometimes avoiding, sometimes even flirting?  Most memorable of these times were the ridiculous dances they made us do to music, the Hokey-Pokey being one of the most infamous.

I'm pretty sure that I have never done the Hokey-Pokey outside of the skating rink.  Whether this is by design, or simply due to the fact that the dance would be too easy without wheels attached to one's feet, I'll never know. What I do know is this: no matter what skill level you are at skating (or Hokey-Pokeying), almost everyone enjoyed it because we all looked ridiculous together.  How many times did you look around  and see the judgmental eyes of someone else looking down on you because you didn't but your right foot in good enough?

Sometimes I wonder if this is the case in our churches today.  I mean not to imply that worship is just a bunch of people getting together an looking ridiculous, but I am more drawn to the idea that we're all having fun because we're all in it together.  Too often I find worship on Sunday to be an awkward time for many people who are worried about how they look when they worship, perhaps worried that they look like they are dancing with skates on.  The problem here is that they are often right in their worries.  Sunday Morning worship can be one of the most judgmental times we will encounter week in and week out.

But why is this?  We are taught in Scripture that it is not our place to judge.  Christians will even jokingly remind other Christians of this fact.  However, when we get to worship on Sunday we find ourselves worried about what others will think while looking at what others are doing wondering how they could be so foolish.

I wonder what worship would be like if we could get past this.  What if we could come before the Lord truly unconcerned about the thoughts of the brothers and sisters that we worship with?  What if, instead of judging our brothers and sisters in worship, we prayed for them, and instead of wondering what people thought of us, we thought more about God and what He means to us?

3 comments:

  1. I feel bad that you feel that Sunday morning worship time can be the most judgmental time every week. Sorry. I will pray for you and I think that the way you lead our worship in song is very pleasing to me and to God. I can see all the details that you add into the background of the song slides and the choices of songs that go right along with the scripture and message. You are doing a great job! As far as the sign goes...I think that it is a fun conversation piece. You can look at it a few ways....I think of doing the Hokey Pokey as a fun thing -----it would be great if life was all fun wouldn't it? Or you could look at the Hokey Pokey as a whole lot of rules, put you right hand in, then out...blah, blah, blah. But in reality, I guess life is a combination of fun and rules, whether in church or out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, I couldn't honestly remember where I saw that sign. It occurs to me now that it was yours in Cory's office. I wouldn't want you to think that I am making a judgment call on Overisel's worship, but more talking about a collective "we" for the whole Church. I don't think this is true of everyone. I'm just asking questions, hoping to get people to think; perhaps think more about what we do in worship so that it is not just following directions.

      Delete
  2. I wonder if it would require more than not judging, but also involve active Christian hospitality. It's easy to overlook people even if you're not making judgments, but it's harder to welcome people and invite them into unselfconscious worship.

    ReplyDelete